When this happened to me, I spent a little time searching, and found the above utility. It did nothing and claimed that my video card (a Radeon 7970), which used to display Aero perfectly, isn't capable of supporting Aero.
Here's what I tried:
- Many reboots: didn't help
- Updated the graphics drivers: didn't help. The repair utility still claimed that my graphics card doesn't support Aero
- Installed all updated, which I was behind on: This didn't help either
- Tried killing all running process that I could. No go.
- Uninstalled a few applications I had installed in the past 2 days, still no go
I should have made note of the KB update number(s), but at this point I was pretty frustrated, thinking I'd have to restore a drive image. If any one knows the KB numbers of the updates installed with the IE 10 preview, please let me know.
Summary: IE 10 preview and associated updates can cause Aero to stop working.
Edit 2012-11-19: Thanks, Dean for the KB update number: KB2670838.
I had the exact same problem as you. Had tried all the things you had tried. I'm running an Nvidia Geforce GTS 250. I uninstalled the one and only update that occured on the same day as the IE10 update (other than the IE10 update of course) and Aero was up and running straight away. The update was KB2670838.ReplyDelete
You are a saviour. Thanks for sharing. Thanks to Dean too.ReplyDelete
Glad I could help!ReplyDelete